- Social Media Policy
Social Media Policy
To establish guidelines, procedures, limitations and responsibilities relating to the City of DeFuniak Springs’ use of social media. Social media is defined as any website, blog, networking site, or chat group, such as, but not limited to Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, Blogger, WordPress, etc.
STATEMENT OF POLICY
The City of DeFuniak Springs uses two social media platforms: the official City website www.defuniaksprings.net and the following Facebook pages for the City of DeFuniak Springs: DeFuniak Springs Airport, DeFuniak Springs Police Department, DeFuniak Springs Fire Department, LakeFest, and Marvel of Flight. This policy not only includes these platforms, but any additional social media platforms adopted by the City for future use.
The City of DeFuniak Springs’ City departments may use these platforms to promote City programs, services, events, and activities if it is determined that the use of these platforms serve the public interest and portray the City in a positive manner. Subject to the terms and conditions set forth in this policy, social media may be used for City marketing, promotional, and general information only and only to convey information that is useful to, or will further, the goals of the City. Social media for city boards and committees shall be fully administered by the department liaison in coordination with the City Manager or his/her designee.
PROCEDURES FOR CITY SOCIAL MEDIA SITES
- The City Manager will authorize Departments to start or participate in any social media approved by the Department Director. Administration of social media may be assigned to any department employee by the requesting department director who has a complete understanding of this policy and has appropriate content and technical experience and who will supervise such administration.
- City Manager shall designate a City employee (public information officer) to educate the general workforce about new marketing and social media that will be used to help disseminate City information to the public. The designee (public information officer) will assist departments in disseminating City information to the public.
- Social media used by the City of DeFuniak Springs will be limited to outbound communication only except for online forms provided on the City’s official website requesting specific information from a citizen for conducting business with the City. The City’s Facebook pages allow reply postings. Only replies of a general customer service/information nature such as “What is the location?” or “Who can I call to activate my water service?” will be responded to with the specific answer or information on how to request a public record. Any content removed shall be retained by the City Clerk pursuant to record retention schedules pursuant to Florida law.
- Wherever possible, City social media sites should make clear that they are maintained by the City and follow this social media policy with links that direct users back to the City’s website for more information, forms, documents or online services necessary to conduct business with the City of DeFuniak Springs.
- Employees authorized to represent the City in an official capacity on any social media site must always conduct themselves as representatives of the City of DeFuniak Springs in accordance with the City’s personnel policies.
- The City of DeFuniak Springs’ Facebook pages are subject to the public records laws of the State of Florida. Any content maintained in a social media format that is related to City business, including a list of subscribers, posted communication and communication submitted for posting, may be subject to public disclosure. All such content shall be maintained in accordance with Florida law and retention schedules. E-Discovery laws may also apply to social media content and, therefore, content must be able to be managed, stored, and retrieved to comply with these laws.
Although posts and comments are encouraged on the social media sites that allow posts, these sites are limited public forums and are moderated by City staff. All posted content (comments, photos, links, etc.) must be related to discussion of City programs, services, projects, issues, events, and activities.
A comment posted by a member of the public on any City of DeFuniak Springs Facebook page is the opinion of the commentator or poster only, and publication of any comment does not imply endorsement of, or agreement by, the City of DeFuniak Springs, nor do such comments necessarily reflect the opinions or policies of the City of DeFuniak Springs.
The City of DeFuniak Springs reserves the right to deny access to City of DeFuniak social media sites for any individual who violates the City of DeFuniak Springs’ social media policy, or any federal, state, or local law, at any time and without prior notice.
City of DeFuniak Springs social media sites and all posts thereon are subject to public record and retention schedules under Florida Law. E-mail addresses and all comments posted on the City social media sites are public record under Florida Law and are not exempt from public records requirements.
To the extent possible, the administrator of the social media should post the above information directly to the social media site in a place that is readily visible to viewers as well as a link to this policy.
The following are prohibited on City of DeFuniak Springs social media sites:
- Comments not topically related to City programs, services, projects, issues, events and activities, or the post being addressed;
- Posts and comments that promote or advertise commercial services, entities or products except as stipulated in City marketing plans and determined by the City to be essential to economic development;
- Political statements, including comments that endorse or oppose political candidates or ballot propositions;
- Religious statements, including comments that endorse or oppose any type of religious opinions or activities;
- Posts and comments that promote, foster or perpetuate discrimination on this basis of creed, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, status regarding public assistance, national origin, physical or mental disability or sexual orientation;
- Posts and comments that include vulgar, offensive, threatening or harassing language, personal attacks, or unsupported accusations;
- Profane, obscene, violent, or sexual content or links to any such content;
- Illegal activity or encouragement of illegal activity;
- Information that may tend to compromise the safety or security of the public or public systems;
- Content that violates a legal ownership interest of any other party, such as copyright or trademark; and
- Content in violation of any federal, state, or local law.
The City of DeFuniak Springs reserves the right to remove posted content that does not comply with these policies. All posts and comments uploaded to the City of DeFuniak Springs social media sites will be periodically reviewed.
Communications made through City of DeFuniak Springs social media sites in no way constitute a legal or official notice or writing to the City of DeFuniak Springs. For example, a post or comment that asks for public records will not be considered a public records request.
LINKS AND EMBEDDED CONTENT POLICY
Links to other social media and/or external websites provided on the City’s social media sites.
The City of DeFuniak Springs may select links to other social media sites and outside websites that offer helpful resources for users. Once an individual links to another page or site, the City’s policies no longer apply, and the individual becomes subject to the policies of that page or site.
The City of DeFuniak Springs’ social media sites are intended specifically to share information about City programs, events and services. The City of DeFuniak Springs is not responsible for the content that appears on these outside links and provides these links as a convenience only.
Users should be aware that these external pages and sites and the information found on those pages and sites are not controlled by, provided by, or endorsed by the City of DeFuniak Springs. The City reserves the right to delete links posted by outside individuals that violate the City’s social media policy at any time without notice.
Links by other entities to City social media sites
It is not necessary to get advance permission to link to the City of DeFuniak Springs’ social media sites; however, entities and individuals linking to the City of DeFuniak Springs social media sites should not in any way suggest that the City of DeFuniak Springs has any relationship or affiliation with the organization or that the City endorses, sponsors or recommends the information, products, or services of that site. Furthermore, social media sites should not make use of the City seal or use the name of any department, committee or board as its name.
Embedded content from the City’s social media sites on other sites
It is not necessary to get advance permission to embed City of DeFuniak Springs’ social media site content; however, entities and individuals embedding content must not present City of DeFuniak Springs content as their own or otherwise misrepresent any of the City’s social media site content. Furthermore, they shall not misinform users about the origin or ownership of City of DeFuniak Springs’ social media site content. Embedded content from the City of DeFuniak Springs’ social media sites should not in any way suggest that the City of DeFuniak Springs has any relationship or affiliation with that organization or that the City endorses, sponsors and/or recommends the information, products or services of that site.
All information and material generated by the City of DeFuniak Springs and provided on City of DeFuniak Springs’ social media sites are the property of the City of DeFuniak Springs. The City retains copyright on all text, graphics images and other content that was produced by the City of DeFuniak Springs and found on the page. You may print copies of information and material for your own non-commercial use, provided you retrain the copyright symbol or other such proprietary notice intact on any copyrighted material you copy. Please include a credit line reading: “credit: City of DeFuniak Springs Facebook (or Twitter or YouTube) page” or “Courtesy of City of DeFuniak Springs.”
Commercial use of text, City logos, photos and other graphics is prohibited without the express written permission of the City of DeFuniak Springs. Use of the City logo is prohibited for any non-governmental purpose. Any person reproducing or redistributing a third-party copyright must adhere to the terms and conditions of the third-party copyright holder. If you are a copyright holder and you feel that the City of DeFuniak Springs did not use an appropriate credit line, please notify the City Manager with detailed information about the circumstances so that the copyright information can be added or the material in question can be removed.
If you have any questions or concerns about the City of DeFuniak Springs social media policy or its implementation, or if you find incorrect information or are interested in seeking permissions that fall outside of the guidelines above, please contact the City Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (850) 892-8500.
Adopted by City Council April 8, 2019