GPS: 1162 Circle Drive, DeFuniak Springs, FL 32435. Panel is located behind the Visitors Center (NW corner of the property) near the railroad tracks.
The following is exact wording on interpretive panel #3 on the self-guided walking tour of the Florida Chautauqua Assembly resort/campus grounds opened in 1885 in DeFuniak Springs, Florida. This panel displays the history of the railroad pedestrian crossing at the train depot.
This crossing served as the main passageway to and from the train depot on the once-gated resort/campus grounds for excursion train passengers. The crossing extended across the railroad tracks to the downtown business district so tourists and guests could conveniently access additional boarding houses, restaurants, the opera house, clothing/mercantile stores, and various attractions like the merry-go-round.