GPS: 1226 Circle Drive, DeFuniak Springs, FL 32435. Panel is located on SW portion of property along sidewalk.
The following is exact wording printed on interpretive panel #6 on the self-guided walking tour of the Florida Chautauqua resort/campus grounds opened in 1885 in DeFuniak Springs, Florida. This interpretive panel displays the history of fencing and tents on the grounds.
This photo was taken from the Chautauqua Hotel looking south (lake on left) on this once gated resort/campus and shows how tented classrooms were strategically spaced on Circle Drive prior to the construction of other buildings for classrooms and meetings.
Campus leaders erected white fencing throughout the grounds to isolate areas requiring ticketed admittance to events and classes, as well as to keep area far animals away from guests. A similar fence served as the outer boundary of the entire campus.