GPS: 95 Circle Drive, DeFuniak Springs, FL 32435. Panel located at the end of the boat ramp on left (north) side at the water’s edge.
The following is exact wording on interpretive panel #14 on the self-guided tour of the Florida Chautauqua Resort/Campus opened in 1885 in DeFuniak Springs, Florida. This panel displays the history of recreation at the resort from 1885 to 1935.
Recreation stood as one of the four pillars of the Florida Chautauqua. Recreational activities at the Assembly were offered primarily through boating and swimming courses on this perfectly round, spring-fed lake which served as the centerpiece of the entire resort/campus. In 1886, Florida Chautauqua leaders arranged for The Duke, an American steam screw, to be transported by rail from Milton, Florida and placed in the lake as an added attraction. However, the attraction was later replaced with sail yachts, canoes and rowboats for the enjoyment of Florida Chautauqua resort/campus guests.