Residential Development Incentive Grant
The primary objective of this development incentive grant program is to encourage development of residential structures and properties by offering limited financial incentives to owners/developers. The overall objective is to stimulate reinvestment in the CRA district by promoting the development of unimproved, residential lots thereby adding to the unique character of the community. This incentive grant is in compliance with the CRA Master Plan Neighborhood Improvement Initiative and the overall goal of eliminating blight within the CRA district [FSS Chapter 163.335] through enhancing the appearance and condition of structures and properties.
Residential Property owners may qualify for this incentive grant program which provides up to up to a maximum of $5,000, to pay for the development of eligible improvements to existing vacant residential lots within the CRA District. All disbursements of grant funds are made following the completion and final inspection of the improvement project. Funds are appropriated annually in the CRA Budget and are available on a first come-first served basis. The program is subject to the availability of allocated funds in that CRA Budget. Applicants are reminded that grant awards are discretionary and should not be considered an entitlement. All grant criteria contained herein are guidelines, not guarantees for awards and successful applicants may receive any amount up to the maximum award. Should an applicant meet all grant criteria, a grant may or may not be awarded due to funding limitations, competing applications, and/or competing priorities.
The following rules are intended to inform a potential grant applicant of the extent and scope of the program. The desired result will halt deterioration, stabilize property values, improve and upgrade the appearance of the area, and facilitate and encourage redevelopment activity in the CRA district.
1. The program is for residential properties only. The property owner must be the applicant or have approval from the property owner. Applications for properties delinquent in payment of property taxes will not be accepted.
2. The program is available only for property located within the CRA district.
3. Improvements must be consistent with any applicable guidelines and policies as outlined by the CRA Plan.
4. Eligible improvements for this program include construction of detached, single-family residential structures on vacant lots within the CRA District. Construction of residential structure must be at least 1,000 square feet heated and cooled.
5. All work must be done in compliance with applicable City of DeFuniak Springs and Walton County Codes and Planning Regulations. All professional work must be performed by a licensed contractor in good standing with the City of DeFuniak Springs and Walton County. Improvements to properties that do not or cannot meet building and safety codes are ineligible.
6. Grant funds will be reimbursed exclusively for approved work, approved change orders and only for work that has been performed after being notified of grant approval by the CRA. Any work completed prior to receiving grant approval is ineligible for reimbursement.
7. Only one (1) Residential Development Incentive Grant application will be accepted per property, per annual grant cycle.
Applicants are reminded that grant awards are discretionary and should not be considered an entitlement. All grant criteria contained herein are guidelines, not guarantees for awards and successful applicants may receive any amount up to the maximum award. Should an applicant meet all grant criteria, a grant may or may not be awarded due to funding limitations, competing applications, and/or competing priorities.