June is just around the corner and great things are happening here at the DeFuniak Springs Municipal Airport! As many of you know we just had our second annual Marvel of Flight fly-in and open house. Thousands of people stopped in and enjoyed a morning of General Aviation and FUN! It is estimated that over 85 airplanes flew in for the event. We had everything from light sport aircraft, experimentals, gyrocopters, helicopters, bi-planes, radio controlled aircraft, model rockets, skydiving, law enforcement, and military aircraft from the past and present. We even enjoyed a great car show as well, although we learned that we may want to relocate them to a better spot next year due to a dust problem created by the 600hp Pratt & Whitney R-1340 Wasp Radial engines mounted on the front of a few T-6 Texans! In addition, there were plenty of things for the kids to do like learn about fire safety using the fire departments smoke house, bouncy cages, hamster balls (yes, a hamster ball big enough for grown-ups to play in!). So all in all it was a great day! We are all looking forward to next year!
Links to News articles about the Marvel of flight:
1. A new combination lock has been installed on the front of the FBO so that pilots and passengers can gain access to the terminal building after normal hours. By entering the CTAF frequency (minus the decimal point) you now have access to the restrooms, flight planning computer, refreshments etc. anytime the airport office is closed.
2. The Airport has a new Beacon in operation mounted on the top of a 50 ft. tower located on the south end of the field near the 70x70 hangars. We have not yet had any feedback its effectiveness so if anyone happens to be out flying at night let us know how it looks!
2. The AWOS project is well underway. The site has been clear and some of the equipment has already been delivered. Crews are here working on it as we speak. We’re expecting it to be operations by mid June.
4. Runway 18-36 has been grated and smoothed out and is currently in great shape for take-offs and landings.
5. Fuel Prices are currently $5.28 for 100LL and $5.00 for Jet-A
6. Tuesday June 19, 2012 @ 10am is the next scheduled Airport Advisory Committee meeting. We encourage you all to come out and get involved. Give us a call for more details.
Line Service Technician
DeFuniak Springs Municipal Airport
1931 US HWY 90 West
DeFuniak Springs, Fl 32433