What can I legally burn and when can I burn it?

The following categories identify open burning allowed by state rules. 

Note: Although state rules may allow for open burning, counties and municipalities may prohibit these types of open burning. Please check with your local government to inquire about local ordinances or bans prior to open burning.


Recreational Purposes

Recreational open burning of vegetative debris and untreated wood in a campfire, ceremonial bonfire, outdoor fireplace, or other contained outdoor heating or cooking device is allowed pursuant to subsections 62-256.700(10) and 5I-2.006(11), F.A.C., as long as the fire is attended at all times and completely extinguished before leaving the premises unattended. No authorization is required from Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) or Florida Forest Service (FFS) for recreational open burning.


Residential Yard Waste

Open burning of “yard waste” (defined as leaves, shrub trimmings, grass clippings, palm fronds, and brush) on residential premises of not more than two family units is allowed, provided that the below requirements in subsection 62-256.700(1), F.A.C., are met:

  1. The yard waste must have been generated on the same premise as where it’s being open burned.
  2. The open burning must occur between the hours of 8:00 AM CST (9:00 AM EST) to one hour before sunset.
  3. The open burning must be enclosed in a noncombustible container or be in a pile no greater than eight feet in diameter.
  4. The location of the open burn must be set back at least 150 feet from any occupied building other than that of the landowner, 50 feet from any paved public roadway, and 25 feet from any wildlands, brush, or combustible structure.
  5. The open burning must be attended with fire extinguishing equipment ready at all times.
  6. Authorization from FFS is not required for burning of residential yard waste; however, it is recommended that you still contact FFS regarding burn conditions for the day(s) you plan to open burn. 


Materials Prohibited from Burning 


Biological waste

Materials with asbestos


Rubber material

Used oil

Roofing material

Treated wood


Hazardous waste

Devices with mercury


Residual oil






For more information please read, Florida Forest Service Burning Information, or contact the Florida Forest Service (Bay, Calhoun, Gulf, Holmes, Jackson, Walton, and Washington Counties) (850)373-1801.

Show All Answers

1. Why does a fire truck show up when I call for EMS?
2. When do I need to change my smoke detector batteries?
3. What can I legally burn and when can I burn it?
4. What is your response time?
5. What is the DeFuniak Springs Fire Department ISO classification Rating?